; Half Square Triangle (HST) TUTORIAL with Layer Cake | Quilting Stories Quilting Tutorials and Discussions

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Half Square Triangle (HST) TUTORIAL with Layer Cake


Layer Cake

For this little quilt I chose a Layer Cake 
from Moda, line Hometown. 
I think the colors are suitable for a baby girl or a baby boy.
In fact with one layer Cake I have just enough 
fabric to sew two baby quilts.

Fabric selection

I put 4 layers together and cut them in 2 triangles.

Diagonal cut

Again I cut them in 2 parts.

Second diagonale cut

I obtain 16 triangles.

Block arrangement

I sew them 2 by 2 ...

Sewing

... in a continuous way.

Continuous sewing



I press the seam on the side.

Pressing

One seam on the right and one seam on the left.

Assembling


Continuous sewing

When all the blocks are ready, I use my iron
to open and press the seam.

Pressing

 I cut again the blocks to be exactly 23/23 cm.

Blocks 23/23 cm

Then I begin to assemble 4 blocks,
after chosing a suitable arrangement.

Row of 4 blocks
  
I sew each row of 4 blocks,
pressing all the seams the same side.
Next row, I press the seams the opposite way.

2 rows

I press open the horizontal seam.

2 ironed rows


Assembling rows

Finished top.

Finished layer cake top

 I will show the ready completed quilt soon, once quilted and binded.


5 comments:

  1. Merci pour le tuto et bravo pour ce nouveau projet plein de fraicheur pour rendre heureux un nouveau bebe !! la regle est en cm ou inch ? On attend le resultat final bien sur...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... de rien! La regle est en inches, mais la je m'en sers juste pour couper car elle est anti-derapante. Avec les layer cakes, pas besoin de mesurer, juste a la fin, que les blocs soient tous de la meme taille et a ce stade je me sers juste des lignes sur la planche.

      Delete
  2. Sometime we need a quick and easy pattern! This is perfect! Thanks for creating the tutorial! I'll let ya know when I make mine! :)

    ReplyDelete