; On The Hoop Again | Quilting Stories Quilting Tutorials and Discussions

Sunday, March 08, 2015

On The Hoop Again

Windmill baby quilt

Quilting tools

Hand stitches

 Hand stitches

Slow Sunday Stitching with Kathy at Kathy's Quilts.

After a long time without hand quilting, I decided to hand quilt the Windmill baby quilt for my grandson. The last time I did so was for the Four Patch Quilt few years ago.
Today I will try quilting with large stitches, which is not so easy for me because when I started quilting I learnt that the most tiny stitches the most beautiful and valuable! Large stitches give a different style, maybe more actual, but the difficulty is to make even stitches.

Wishing a happy relaxing stitching Sunday to all my friends!

21 comments:

  1. Good to see some hand quilting. I haven't done any for years. I do love it though

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely quilt / enjoy your hand-quilting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a lovely quilt Christine. I find it look peaceful maybe because of the shades. Anyway, enjoy the relaxing session of quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to seeing this one when it's done. Quite modern looking so it will be interesting to see how it looks with hand quilting. I'm guessing it will be great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so right it is much harder to get nice even stitches but it does look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colours Christine. Enjoy your Sunday stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bon quilting, mais laisses-en pour demain !!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you are quilting on linen... such beautiful looking fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I could be wrong but if you are doing large stitches...use a longer needle not the usual short quilting needle. I have heard that this helps with the uniformity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It really is difficult to make the larger stitches even at first. Your quilt is going to be fabulous though.:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoy your quilting. It takes practice to make good big stitches, especially when you are used to smaller ones. It will suit the quilt though

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hand quilting will be the perfect touch for this beautiful project. Tiger Tape makes a "Quilter's Big Stitch" guideline tape, available at Amazon. White tape 1/4" wide is printed with perfectly spaced lines to guide stitches. The tape is re-stickable a time or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, this is a great tip, thank you very much!

      Delete
  13. Be careful, you might get addicted! LOL I love it now that I've been using it more. The reward is that it will go much faster than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Be careful, you might get addicted! LOL I love it now that I've been using it more. The reward is that it will go much faster than expected.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Quilter à la main est, pour certaines, une relaxation !! Je suis certaine que le résultat sera à la hauteur du quilt : très beau !
    Happy quilting !!

    ReplyDelete