; Tutorial for an Easy Quilt Binding | Quilting Stories Patchwork and Quilting Stories

Saturday, March 01, 2014

Tutorial for an Easy Quilt Binding

The double border : my favorite method!

Baby quilt binding

Baby quilt binding
Baby quilt

This is the method I find the best, and that I use every time I have to bind a quilt.

For a finished border of 8mm width, cut stripes of 5cm width. The length of the strip
will be equal to the perimeter of your quilt + 30cm (for the corners and the ending).

Cutting

Put two strips perpendicular on each other, right side against right side :


Sew them diagonally :

Sewing

Trim seam at 1/2cm


Open and press seam :


Fold the angle :

Fold angle

Cut a 1/2cm :

Trim seam

Fold the strip on the whole length :

Stripe folded

To start, open the strip and sew it on the right side of the quilt,
 in the middle of one side, for about 7cm :

Machine sewing

Then fold back the strip and sew it all along the quilt :

Machine sewing

Stop at 1/2cm from the edge, cut the thread, 
turn and go on sewing as shown :

Corner

To stop and start again, I use the smallest stitch possible,
instead of a backstitch.

Corner

At the end, I push the end of the strip inside the place
left open at the beginning :

Ending

And I go on sewing, backstitch to stop.

Ended

It is not important if there is a little fold on the wrong side
as it does not appear on the right side :

Turned border

To finish, I turn the border on the wrong side,
and sew it by hand.

Border angle
Finshed border

I hope my explanations have been clear enough, and will have been of help for those who need. For the beginners, next time I will give some tips on how to hand sew this border on the back side.  

Have a great week-end. Greetings from me.

Christine

21 comments:

  1. очень красивая цветовая палитра. Простое но очень шикарное покрывало

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With Google Translate I got: "very beautiful color palette. Simple but very chic bedspread"

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Quel merveilleux quilt !!! de magnifiques tissus assortis avec le plus grand gout et le parfait savoir-faire d'une patcheuse experimentee....Et le resultat est magique ! C'est vraiment trop beau, bravo Christine !!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good instructions...you're an inspiration to beginning and advanced quilters...thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Donna, it's my pleasure!

      Delete
  4. Very helpful instructions. I am also making baby quilts at the moment so this will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine...THANK YOU!!!! I always have trouble "ending" my binding. I love your little "tuck" into trick!!!! THIS I'm going to try!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice red binding! I love interesting bindings.
    LeeAnna Paylor
    lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How come I've not used red for binding. It makes your quilt sparkle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the photo tutorial. I like to SEE what I need to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Muchas gracias por la ayuda.
    Gracias Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice and easy. I love your colors. But as a teacher I must point out that you mean to say strip of fabric (small skinny piece) not a stripe (as in stripes on the American flag). An e on the end turns it into another word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Look eazy.Thanks for tut.Huge from Serbia,
    Cale

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a good idea i will try that right away.
    Regards Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the trick with the beginning/ending - thanks!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. sure this is great i will try it next quilt
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete