; Tomato Red | Quilting Stories Quilting Tutorials and Discussions

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Tomato Red

Antique quilt
Antique quilt

It's amazing how everyday life can be inspiring if only we open our eyes. Coming back from the market with some plum tomatoes in my basket, I found attractive the combo red and beige. And I instantaneously built a project of a quilt with red fabric mixed with all the hues of beige, going from off-white to dark brown.

Plum tomatoes
Plum tomatoes

However, the purpose was not to quilt, but to prepare a tomato paste! But look how beautiful is the contrast between the red of the tomato jars and the dark brown of my old rusted saucepans!

Tomatoe paste
Tomato paste

For those who are interested, here is how I prepare my tomato paste :
I wash the tomatoes and leave them for 3mn covered with boiling water.
I peel them, cut them in four and put them in a high saucepan with salt, a little sugar and a little olive oil.
I let them boil without lid for about 1/2 hour, until the juice evaporated.
I mix and pour the sauce in glass jars, adding a little olive oil just to cover the sauce.

Tomatoes
Ripe tomatoes

During summer time in Greece, the tomatoes are absolutely delicious. I love them best the simpliest way :
cut in slices with olive oil, coarse salt and oregano.

Tomato salad
Tomato salad

Oh! I forgot : wonderful with a slice of grilled bread rubbed with a little garlic!

Tomato
Tomato salad

Enjoy your lunch... and your stitches!
Christine


8 comments:

  1. there is nothing like fresh tomatoes! of course that antique quilt tops them in my book, beautiful I have always wanted to make a quilt like this. just beautiful. you do have a beautiful collection of antique quilts and I for one am thankful your willing to share them
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos! That Red/White quilt is soooo beautiful. I love It!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say the red and white quilts have a special place in my heart. I have bolt of red waiting to be turned into a quilt. Having such a hard time deciding which block to use, there are so many great ones. I can tomatoes every summer. Even my husband commented what a wonderful deep red the jars were, and so yummy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too just love red and white together. :) I enjoyed your post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful red and white quilt! Your tomatoes look delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As. Always, your photography is a treat for the eyes Christine! Red and cream is a favorite color combination for me, so I love your antique quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Inspirations, you never know where it comes from :-)
    It is hard to get such wonderful tomatoes over here, unless you grow them yourself, and then it is very much hit and miss business!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful quilt. Just made with two simple colors. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete