; Basting Tutorial | Quilting Stories Quilting Tutorials and Discussions

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Basting Tutorial


The first thing when you prepare basting is to cut the backing and the batting at least 4 inches larger and 4 inches longer than the top.

Basting

Draw a mark on the middle of your table.
Fold your backing in two lengthwise, wrong side against wrong side.
Line it up with the mark.

Basting

Open and fix it with a tape.

Basting

Do the same with your batting. Then fold your top in two lengthwise, right side against right side and line it up.

Basting

This is what you obtain.

Basting

These are the tools you need for basting your three layers.

Basting

Before stitching, put some pins to maintain the three layers together.

Basting

The spoon will help you to lift and grasp your needle effortless without moving the quilt.

Basting

Start from the middle of the quilt and stitch diagonal lines with big stitches.

Basting

The quilt is now ready to be fixed on the hoop for hand quilting.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you! I have used safety pins, thinking they're a quicker solution. Now I think the needle and thread are the better option. I will try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tutorial. Your photos are gorgeous as always. I pin baste on my design wall, but have wanted to try it on the table top. I like that you use needle and thread. That would be much better for quiltng in a hoop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon quilting! J'aime bien l'aide de la petite cuillère.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing! I've never basted this way before!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bon quiliting sur cet ouvrage printanier

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen anyone use a spoon to baste, unless it was for a turkey, LOL. A wonderful tip! Thank you Christine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for good idea of stitching!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the spoon trick... I will do that next time!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like the idea of the spoon. I am going to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THANK YOU! I AM OPEN TO LEARNING NEW THINGS! NOW I KNOW HOW TO LIFT MY NEEDLE WITH A SPOON!!

    ReplyDelete